- 4.5 lbs Hawthorn berries
- 1 qt Apple Cider Vinegar
- 22 oz organic Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Ground Allspice berries
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh Thyme
- Remove the leaves from the hawthorn sprigs (stems are okay). Put the berries in a 6 qt. pot, add the Cider Vinegar and salt to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook the berries until soft - about 45 minutes.
- Pass the cooked hawthorn berries through a Foley mill to remove the seeds. The hawthorn paste will come out of the bottom. You should end up with 2 pints of pulp. Rinse out your pot, throw the hawthorn paste back in the pot. Well, maybe not throw.
- Remove the stems from the leaves of the Thyme, add it to the pot along with the sugar and spices. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat until the sugar is completely melted and is hot all the way through. I suggest constant stirring to keep the sugar from scorching.
- Spoon the hawthorn berry chutney into the sterilized jars, wipe the tops of the jars, put on the lids and hot water bath can for 15 minutes.
- You should end up with about 6 half pints of chutney. It is soooo good on toast, meats, etc. With every bite, you know that "Everything Is Going To Be Ok!"