Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristin ReedKristin
      Wildling

The bitters class got me so excited and I have 4 experiments tincturing away! I take bitters daily and I am thrilled to finally have a go at making my own. Hoping a few of these turn out:

1) Doug fir, Grapefruit, Ginger (because, of course!)
      2) Grapefruit, Ginger, Star Anise, Vanilla, Clove
      3) Chamomile, Ginger, Fennel, Coriander, Clove (For upset and sour stomachs. Only had dry chamomile so that’s what I used)
      4) Hawthorne, Rose, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Mugwort (All dried because that’s what I had. Still hoping this turns out nice… We’ll see!)

Any other bitters suggestions, tips, advice?

Hello Kristin!

How cool is that, that you took what you learned and are making bitters! Good on ya, gal!
      I love love love your combinations.

Remember the slide that had all the bitter herbs? That’s only a short list!

The following are examples of bitter plants:

Oregon Grape, Mahonia spp.
      Mugwort, Artemisia suksdorfii, Artemisia vulgaris
      Desert Sage, Artemisia tridentata
      Motherwort, Leonurus cardiaca
      Willow, Salix spp.
      Turmeric, Curcuma longa
      Dandelion, Taraxacum officinale 
      Yarrow, Achillea millifolium 
      Mature green cones/strobiles of the alder tree, Ulnus rubra
      Citrus peels and pulp, Citrus spp.
      Burdock, Arctium lappa
      Hawthorn, Crataegus spp.
      Ashwagandha, Withiana somnifera
      Fenugreek, Trigonella foenum-graecum
      Cottonwood, Populus balsamifera
      Quaking Aspen, Populus tremuloides
      Cinnamon, Cinnamomum verum
      Madrone, Arbutus menziesii
      White Pine, Pinus strobus
      Coffee, Coffea spp.
      Cleavers, Gallium aparine
      Cacao, Theobroma cacao
      Dock root, Rumex spp.
      Chamomile, Matricaria chamomilla, Chamaemelum nobile (aka Anthemis nobilis)
      Garden Sage, Salvia officinalis
      Rosemary, Rosmarinus officinalis now known as Salvia rosmarinus
      Thyme, Thymus vulgaris
      Oregano, Origanum vulgare
      Salal, Gaultheria shallon
      Douglas Fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii
      Grand Fir, Abies grandis
      Calendula, Calendula officinalis
      Pinus ponderosa, Pinus ponderosa
      Willow, Salix spp.
      Grindelia, Grindelia integrifolia AKA Gumweed

WHAT HO! I see lots of bitters in your future! Remember not to take bitters in the evening as they stimulate digestion and the liver needs time to do other things at night!

The caveat with that is if you ate some bad food and are feeling queazy. Bitters will stimulate the quick removal of the toxins from the bad food and help relieve the symptoms of food poisoning as well.

Kristin ReedKristin
      Wildling

Thank you!! Yes, I think there will be lots of bitters in my future. I’m already making more! LOL. I know they’ll last for ages and I love trying different flavor combos.

I figured out about not taking bitters in the evening a few months ago… I took some and then woke up at 3am sweating! Whoops.

I am still very new to tincture making and hadn’t worked with fresh plant material before. I was wondering about my dough fir and grapefruit bitters because the plant material kept floating to the top of the jar and wouldn’t stay submerged in the alcohol. I tried to fill the jar alllllll the way to the top, and even topped it off after a day or two, but when I went to strain it out some of the grapefruit and needles were sticking up from the alcohol and had been there for a while. Is there any concern for spoilage, botulism, yucky things in there from the stuff that was sticking up? I still haven’t tasted that one yet because I’m not sure how all that works.

As long as jar is full to the top with alcohol, floating herbs are not a problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.