Wildcrafting: Hawthorn Intensive Spring 2021
- WHEN: Saturday May 15, 2021
- TIME: 9:30 am to 3:00 pm
- FEE: 125 USD
- INSTRUCTOR: Heather Bruno
- SETTING: In-Person
- LOCATION: Seattle, WA (details & directions provided after enrollment)
Hawthorn, the “everything is going to be ok” herb is needed now more than ever!
This wildcrafting intensive is for those who wish to dive deep into all things Hawthorn-suitable for both beginning and advanced students-no prior herbal knowledge or experience needed! We will spend the day identifying and learning all about hawthorn, proper harvesting time and techniques, and abundant medicine making!
Common knowledge says that hawthorn is “good for the heart.” What does that even mean? We will delve into plant constituents to learn the “why and how” hawthorn is working with our anatomy and physiology to improve the health of not only the cardiovascular system, but of the nervous system as well. We will discuss the use of hawthorn to treat anxiety and panic attacks and relieve the effects of stress. As hawthorn has a strong relaxing effect on the central nervous system, it is particularly helpful for those who are going through life transitions and dealing with grief.
- Understand the active chemical constituents and energetics of hawthorn and their effects on health and healing-physically and emotionally
- Properly identify hawthorn in the wild and identify when the right and wrong time is to harvest the blossoms.
- Learn how to harvest local, medicinal plants using ethical and sustainable wildcrafting techniques.
- Discuss the use of medicinal and edible plant products including skin toners, elixirs, oxymels, tinctures and herbal infused honeys.
- Distinguish appropriate applications and dosing for the remedies, herbal formulations, and explain contraindications.
Students will have the opportunity to harvest hawthorn and create medicinal remedies that get the medicine to the people in ways that they will enjoy taking – an elixir, tincture, oxymel, vinegar or infused honey, a skin toner and, weather permitting, a flower remedy! All will be explained and there will also be a variety of hawthorn remedies to sample!
In addition to the remedies you will make and take home, there will also be a variety of hawthorn remedies to sample!
What you’ll need:
- 2 half pint jars with lids
- Clean 1 oz tincture bottle filled 1/3rd of the way with either brandy or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 pint of brandy – any brand. 80 proof (best for elixirs) OR 1/2 pint of 100 proof unflavored vodka, any brand
- 1/2 pint organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- Witch Hazel (plain, unscented)-half pint
- Gathering bags/basket (also try these)
- Cutting board, chopping knife and sturdy scissors or kitchen shears
- Lunch and water
- Camp chair or blanket to sit on