Wildcrafting: Hawthorn Berry Intensive
- WHEN: Saturday September 18, 2021
- TIME: 9:30 am to 3:00 pm
- FEE: 125 USD
- INSTRUCTOR: Heather Bruno
- SETTING: In-Person
- LOCATION: Seattle, WA (details & directions provided after enrollment)
Hawthorn, the “everything is going to be ok” herb is needed now more than ever!
Hawthorn is considered a primo herb for supporting overall cardiovascular health. We’ll delve into plant constituents to learn the “why and how” hawthorn is working with our anatomy and physiology to improve the health of not only the cardiovascular system, but of the nervous system as well. We will discuss protocols for the use of hawthorn and adjunct therapies to manage anxiety and panic attacks and relieve the effects of stress. As hawthorn has a strong relaxing effect on the central nervous system, it is particularly helpful for those who are going through life transitions and dealing with grief.
This intensive is for those who wish to dive deep into all things Hawthorn-suitable for both beginning and advanced students-no prior herbal knowledge or experience needed! We will spend the day identifying and learning about hawthorn berries, sustainable harvesting techniques and best harvesting times, and abundant medicine making!
- Understand the active chemical constituents and energetics of hawthorn and their effects on health and healing-physically and emotionally
- Properly identify hawthorn in the wild, and identify when the time is right to harvest the berries and leaves for optimum potency.
- Learn how to harvest local, medicinal plants using ethical and sustainable wildcrafting techniques.
- Discuss the making and use of medicinal and edible plant products including, skin toners, elixirs, oxymels, tinctures and herbal infused honeys.
- Distinguish appropriate applications and dosing for the remedies, herbal formulations, and explain contraindications.
- Students will have the opportunity to harvest hawthorn and create delicious remedies that get the medicine to the people in ways that they’ll enjoy taking, so that healing can occur.
- Elixir, tincture, infused honey, and an oxymel are on tap for this workshop! Students will choose 2 remedies to make during the workshop.
There will also be a variety of hawthorn remedies to sample!
What you’ll need:
- Camp chair
- Small basket (also these) or fabric grocery bag
- Cutting board, chopping knife and sturdy scissors or kitchen shears
- 2 clean half pint jars
- Raw, local honey
- apple cider vinegar
- Brandy – any brand. 80 proof (best for elixirs) OR 100 proof unflavored vodka, any brand (best for tinctures)-1 pint
- Dress appropriately for the weather. We’ll be in a field with lots of grass and scratchy plants. Sturdy shoes are a good idea.
- Lunch and water