Wild Harvest Intensive ~ Hawthorn Berries (Sandpoint, ID)
Hawthorn, the “everything is going to be ok” herb is needed now more than ever!
- WHEN: Saturday September 18, 2021
- TIME: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
- FEE: 95 USD
- INSTRUCTOR: Suzanne M. Tabert
- SETTING: In-Person
- LOCATION: Sandpoint, ID (details & directions provided after enrollment)
This wildcrafting intensive is for those who wish to dive deep into all things Hawthorn and is suitable for both beginning and advanced students. No prior herbal knowledge or experience needed! We will spend the day identifying and learning all about hawthorn, proper harvesting time and techniques, and abundant medicine making!
Common knowledge says that hawthorn is “good for the heart.” What does that even mean? We will delve into plant constituents to learn the “why and how” hawthorn is working with our anatomy and physiology to improve the health of not only the cardiovascular system, but of the nervous system as well. We will discuss the use of hawthorn to treat anxiety and panic attacks and relieve the effects of stress. As hawthorn has a strong relaxing effect on the central nervous system, it is particularly helpful for those who are going through life transitions and dealing with grief. Hawthorn’s polyphenols also help regulate blood glucose levels.
- Understand the active chemical constituents and energetics of hawthorn and their effects on health and healing, both physically and emotionally.
- Properly identify hawthorn in the wild and identify the correct time to harvest the berries.
- Learn how to harvest local, medicinal plants using ethical and sustainable wildcrafting techniques.
- Discuss the use of medicinal and edible plant products including elixirs, oxymels, tinctures and herbal infused honeys.
- Distinguish appropriate applications and dosing for the remedies, herbal formulations, and explain contraindications.
Students will have the opportunity to harvest hawthorn and create medicinal remedies that “get the medicine to the people in ways that they will enjoy taking, so that healing can occur” – an elixir, tincture, oxymel, vinegar and/or infused honey.
What you’ll need:
- 4 half pint jars with lids
- 1/2 pint of 80 proof brandy – any brand
- OR 1/2 pint of 100 proof unflavored vodka – any brand
- 1/2 pint organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- Medium bowl
- Soup spoon or silicone spatula
- Fruit masher or pint jar with lid
- Gathering bags/basket (also try these)
- Kitchen towel
- Lunch and water
- Camp chair or blanket
Request This WorkshopThis class is completed - HOWEVER - if you'd like to vote for this class, enter your email below. We'll let you know next time this class gets hosted by popular demand. (Your information will be kept completely confidential and will only be used to notify you of this class.) See you next time!