Hawthorn Berry Wildcrafting Intensive
- WHEN: October 5, 2023
- TIME: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
- FEE: $125.00 USD
- INSTRUCTOR: Heather Bruno
- SETTING: In-Person
- LOCATION: Seattle, WA
(details & directions provided after enrollment)
What are those bright, gorgeous berries that are beckoning? Hawthorn! This “everything is going to be ok” herb is considered a primo herb for supporting cardiovascular health and the heart both physically and emotionally. We’ll delve into plant constituents to learn the “why and how” hawthorn is working with our anatomy and physiology to improve the health of not only the cardiovascular system, but of the nervous system as well. Come learn all about the benefits of Hawthorn and learn how to make exquisite medicine with its bountiful gifts!
Hawthorn is a nutritive food that grows wild all around us and is the premier herb for heart health, contributing to both physical and emotional well-being. Regularly eating herbs and foods high in flavonoids has been shown to decrease the inflammation and oxidative stress. Hawthorn is rich in antioxidants! In this class you will learn the why and how Hawthorn can play a role in nourishing and strengthening the heart and cardiovascular system. You will learn a variety of preparations and recipes for getting the medicine of Hawthorn to folks who need it and in the way they will enjoy taking it!
What you will learn:
- How to properly identify 2 species of hawthorn in the wild: native and introduced
- The ecological role of Hawthorn, and sustainability issues
- The constituents and energetics of hawthorn and their effects on health and healing-physically and emotionally
- The right time and technique to harvest hawthorn “berries”, what to look for, and why it is important to also include some of the leaves
- How to make exquisite and effective hawthorn remedies
And much more!
Students will have the choice of making 2 remedies to take home. Choices include: a tincture (vodka), a honey, an elixir (honey and brandy), an oxymel (honey and apple cider vinegar) or a vinegar. So many choices! We will discuss how each extracts the constituents of Hawthorn and the benefits of each type of preparation.
Be sure to register for the other Seattle-area Autumn Workshops:
WHERE TO MEET:
Seattle area park. Details and meeting location will be provided after registration.To keep the workshop stress free for all, pets and children are not permitted.
What to bring:
- 2 half pint jars (8 ounce, no larger please) with lids (at least one plastic lid or a piece of parchment paper)
- A muddler or something to mash the fruits
- 1/2 pint of brandy – any brand. 80 proof (best for elixirs) OR 1/2 pint of 151 proof unflavored vodka, any brand (best for tinctures)
- Raw, local Honey – a pint
- Raw, organic apple cider vinegar- a pint
- Scissors or a cutting board and knife
- Notebook and pen
- Camp chair or blanket to sit on
- Dress appropriately for the weather. We’ll be in a field with lots of grass and scratchy plants.
- Umbrella or hat for protection from sun or rain
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
We will have a canopy for relief from the rain or sun if needed!